Factors that motivate employees to work at Northern Luzon Adventist College, Philippines - an analysis

Description:
The purpose was to find out Northern Luzon Adventist College (NLAC) employees’ rankings of the common factors considered to motivate them, and clarify what the employees of NLAC desire for the future in the factors studied. This study was delimited to the selected factors that motivate employees to work at NLAC based on Herzberg’s motivation-hygiene theory as perceived and desired by the respondents, and their perception on the current job outlook. The population investigated in this study consisted of all the current employees of NLAC as of December 2005, totaling 94. The researcher utilized the descriptive survey method of research, with questionnaire (factors Important in the Job and current Job Outlook) as the main instrument. Out of the 88 questionnaires that were distributed, 86 (97.7%) were completed and returned.

The major findings of the study were as follows: The top five motivation factors perceived by NLAC employees were as follows: Competence, Knowing the job; Importance of tasks; Work enjoyment; Having enough freedom, responsibility, and authority to do my job; and Originality. The top five hygiene factors perceived by the employees were as follows: Nature of the organization, Good personal relations, Respect for co-workers, Security in my job, and Prestige in the community. On the overall, the desired level of the motivation and hygiene factors of the respondents were consistently higher than the perceived level of the motivation and hygiene factors.

There were significant differences in perceived motivation factors when respondents were grouped according to age and worker status. There was significant difference in the desired level of the motivation factors when respondents were grouped according to present monthly salary and worker status. There were significant differences in perceived hygiene factors when respondents were grouped according to age and present monthly salary. There were significant differences in desired hygiene factors when respondents were grouped according to present monthly salary and worker status.

The current job outlook profile differed significantly when respondents were grouped according to age, length of service at NLAC, present monthly salary, and worker status. Based on the overall findings that the present job is the best or second best, 60.5% respondents are satisfied with their jobs at NLAC. The rest (39.5%), as the analysis seems to suggest, are not satisfied with their jobs. The current job outlook and the total perceived and desired motivation and hygiene factors are all positively and significantly correlated.

Recommendations include sustaining the top five motivation factors and stepping up the lower five motivation factors as well as all the hygiene factors so as to minimize the level of dissatisfaction among NLAC employees. NLAC administration is encouraged to work out a long term plan for employee development through training and also clearly define as well as make available to the employees the criteria for promotion within the service and also promote employees adequately when they meet these criteria. 
Rating:
Licence Type:
Free
Publication Date:
2006
Author:
Victoria O Akpa
Order Information:
Copy available from AIIAS Leslie Hardinge Library LG224.B87 .A36 2006
Topics:
Keywords:
More Info Less Info
Language:
English
Resource Type:
Papers & Plans
Resource Objective:
Research on Education
Level:
Tertiary
Audience:
Administrator, Teacher, Researcher
Religious Origin:
Seventh-day Adventist