Complex Cooperative Sample Lesson 2
|Teacher: Lister/Rodenberg||Date: 21 June 1998|
|Unit: Island Formation/Volcano||Grade: 9|
|Topic: Corals and Sea Creatures||Structure: Pairs Check|
- Dimensions of Learning: The students will work together to answer important questions from the textbook.
- Content: The students will determine the difference between corals and other sea creatures.
- Social Skills: The students will work together to summarize other important information.
- Photos of corals and sea creatures
- Pairs check worksheets
- Pens, pencils for students
- Group size: 4
- Group selection: heterogeneous, assigned by teacher.
- Positive Interdependence: One worksheet per pair, one answers, the other coaches.
- Group Accountability: Answers must agree.
- Individual Accountability: Identify a species by details from the textbook.
- Roles: pairs switch back and forth between worker and coach.
- Side by side pairs.
- Names at the top of the paper.
- Person on the right answers, person on the left coaches, then switch roles.
- Check across to partner pairs to make sure everyone agrees.
- Check off #1, go to #2.
Monitoring Group Work: Walk about helping as necessary (verbal praise).
- Use worksheets to record answers.
- Take enough time for each student to note important details on notepaper.
- Summarize to partner.
- Summarize to whole class.
Processing Group Dynamics:
- Journal about your learning style in pairs check.
- Did the Pairs Check strategy help you learn?
- Did the Pairs Check strategy provide motivation?
- What is too much help?