Copyright © 2004-2008 North American Division Office of Education
Creating a Culture for Learning
Go to Top
- North American Division Handbook for Principals, page 12. Contact your Conference or Union Office for a
- The Journal of Adventist Education. North American Division. See http://circle.adventist.org for back
- The Principal as Leader, Larry W. Hughes. Merrill, 1999. Practical book on leadership and the principal with
advice on how the principal can fulfill the roles of establishing a culture and improving instruction and learning.
- The Principal: New Leadership for New Challenges, John T. Seyfarth. Prentice-Hall, 1999. Good chapters on
the principal’s roles and responsibility in creating and developing school atmosphere and culture and the principal as
organizational and instructional leader and manager.
- School Leadership: Handbook for Excellence edited by Stuart C. Smith and Philip K. Piele. U of Oregon Press,
1996. Book with chapters devoted to important roles such as developing leaders, transforming culture, leading the instructional
program and staff, and details of managing the principal’s role.
- Educational Leadership. www.ascd.org ASCD’s flagship publication
with sources of information about teaching and learning, new ideas and practices, and the latest trends and issues affecting pre-
Kindergarten through higher education.
- Principal Leadership. http://www.principals.org/s_nassp/
Journal of NASSP. Focuses on the school leader’s need for practical strategies for improving the school. See especially the
section on “Tips for Principals” and the December 2002 issue on creating a school climate.
- JSD. www.nsdc.org Journal of National Staff Development Council.
- The Journal of School Leadership. www.rowmaneducation.com Research that contributes to the exchange of ideas about
schools and leadership.
- The Journal of Law & Education. www.law.sc.edu/
jawedhp.htm Covers all aspects of law related to education.
- The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, John C. Maxwell. Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1999. Focuses on
the qualities of a good leader.
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, John C. Maxwell. Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1998. Focuses on life-
changing principles that determine the success or failure of an institution.
- Becoming a Person of Influence, John C. Maxwell. Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1997. www.injoy.com (800) 333-6506.
- Full Steam Ahead! Ken Blanchard and Jesse Stoner. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2003. Focuses on how to use
the power of visioning to get focused, get energized, and get great results.
- Bringing Out the Best in Others, Thomas K. Connellan. Bard Press, 2003. Three keys for leaders to transform
- Whale Done! Ken Blanchard et al. The Free Press, 2002. Describes how accentuating the positive and
redirecting the negative can increase productivity.
- “Keeping Good Teachers: Why It Matters, What Leaders Can Do.” Article by Linda Darling-Hammond. Educational
Leadership. www.ascd.org May 2003. Four factors influence teacher retention: salaries, working conditions,
preparation, and mentoring support.
- Why CEOs Fail, David L. Dotlich and Peter C. Cairo. Jossey-Bass, 2003. Discussion of the eleven behaviors
that can cause a leader’s downfall and how to avoid them.
- What Works in Schools: Translating Research into Action, Robert J. Marzano. NASSP, 2003. Book with
suggestions on how schools can operate at advanced levels of effectiveness.
- What Works: Research About Teaching and Learning edited by William John Bennett. Wooster Book Company,
- The Principalship, Thelbert L. Drake and William H. Roe. Merrill Prentice Hall, 2003. Comprehensive
discussion of the principal’s various tasks and roles.
- Educational Administration: Concepts and Practices, Fred C. Lunenburg and Allan C. Ornstein. Wadsworth,
2000. Comprehensive discussion of the concepts and practices of educational administrative responsibilities with many
- Principle-Centered Leadership, Stephen Covey. Simon & Schuster, 1992. A book by a Christian author
recognized in the field of leadership.
- The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations, John P. Kotter and Dan S.
Cohen. Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
- How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees, Jeffrey J. Fox. Hyperion,
- Leading a Christian School: A Book for Board Members and Administrators, edited by Timothy C. Evearitt. http://www.cace.net/books/leading.html Issues relevant to school
Go to Top